Anxiety Therapy and Counseling in Fresno, CA
Are you experiencing uncontrollable worry even in everyday situations?
This worry may affect your ability to interact with others, try something new or speak out against someone saying harmful things. Worry like this may seem to control all parts of your life leaving you stuck with your own thoughts and relief feels completely out of sight.
You may find yourself:
Disconnecting from friends/family or co-workers
Questioning your ability even in tasks you once were confident to perform
Feeling like your heart is beating out of your chest
Overwhelming negative thoughts that make you fear others will notice
What Is Anxiety?
Anxiety is actually a normal part of life. However, when a person develops an anxiety disorder their discomfort is excessive and persistent without any basis. Often times the symptoms are difficult to control and interfere with daily life. Anxiety can prevent a person from working, going to school, caring for self and family and can truly interfere with their freedom. Common signs of anxiety include:
· Feeling nervous or tense
· Having a feeling of panic or looming danger
· Physical symptoms (increased heart rate, rapid breathing, sweating, trembling)
· Sudden feeling of weakness or fatigue
· Trouble concentrating due to excessive worry
· Difficulty sleeping
· GI problems (diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, IBS)
· Difficulty controlling worry
· Avoiding things that cause anxiety
Types of Anxiety Disorders
There are many types of anxiety disorders and many have similar symptoms. The most commonly diagnosed would be Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety and PTSD (Posttraumatic Stress Disorder). Others include agoraphobia, panic disorders, selective mutism, separation anxiety disorder, specific phobias, substance- induced anxiety disorder, and anxiety disorder due to a medical condition.
What are some things that can increase the risk of developing an anxiety disorder:
· Trauma – it has been found that children who have experienced trauma or abuse are at a greater risk of developing an anxiety disorder at some time in their life. Trauma experienced at any age can also lead to the development of an anxiety disorder
· Stress due to an illness – health conditions that have been serious particularly to the point of possible death or loss of limb can lead to worry in the future in regard to medical treatment.
· Stress buildup – when multiple stressors are felt in a short period of time the likelihood of experiencing anxiety increases. The body typically has an ability to ward of anxieties related to small events, though when combined the bodies to do so becomes compromised.
· Personality – the development of personality has a great deal to do with the formation of anxiety. Such as a person who is a perfectionist or worries about getting into trouble is at a risk of developing these disorders.
· Family history – those with blood relatives who have anxiety are more prone to also experience anxiety.
· Drugs and alcohol – those that use substances are at a greater risk of experiencing anxiety either while intoxicated or during withdrawal.
When To Get Help
Likely if you have read this far you are probably wondering if you have anxiety. If this is a question then getting therapy would be a great place to start. Again some symptoms mimic a medical condition so it is best to seek a medical provider and a therapist to determine a diagnosis. If you are worrying so often that it is difficult to get to work or be on time, your relationships are struggling, you are using substances to calm your nerves and the worrying is leading to depression seeking a consultation would be key. A mental health disorder has to be diagnosed by a professional and the diagnosis is only to help guide treatment and nothing more. Often times seeking therapy or asking for help is very difficult for the stigma related to mental health has got in the way of treatment for many years. But rest assured that seeking treatment will help you get control and regain balance.
Get A Solution To Your Anxiety
I can help you find a solution to these fears by learning about where they began and how long they have held you hostage. We will explore through your childhood to pinpoint the many ways anxiety started. I will help you to identify events that may have helped these fears grow. Once we know the extent of the issue I will help you learn new ways of thinking, coping and being. I will help you live again without all the distracting thoughts in your head.
Anxiety can really change a person's life and ability to live freely and happily. Despite your current anxiety about even making the first move to an improved life, trust that I will guide you the all the way and anxiety is a state of being you can overcome. I have helped many people before you identify, challenge and kick out the anxiety that once controlled their lives.